Museu de Art Naïve (need confirmation if open)
Museu de Art Naïve — Naif Art International Museum — MIAN — International Primitive Art Museum Rio is a colonial mansion with the world’s largest and most complete collection of primitive art. Just fifty meters from the mini-train station leading to Christ the Redeemer in the Cosme Velho District, 8,000 works by painters from Brazil and 130 other countries give testimony to this spontaneous and very nonacademic type of artistic expression, dating back to the XV Century.
This museum also features the largest canvas ever painted in this style, measuring 7 x 4 meters, which portrays the City of Rio de Janeiro in a strikingly original way. It also offers a dynamic cultural program that attracts a steady flow of interested visitors. Don’t miss the two-wall panel portraying the country’s history.
Largo Do Boticário
Largo do Boticário — The name Boticário, that means apothecary, was given in honor of Joaquim Luiz da Silva Souto who owned a state in the square and was apothecary to the Brazilian Royal Family.
Over the years this square has hosted a wide variety of artistic and cultural events that attract crowds of visitors to the Cosme Velho District.
Just seven colorful houses form this delightful corner of Rio de Janeiro — a small colonial haven in the middle of town.
Largo do Boticário features colonial-style facades and roofs around a cobble stoned square shaded by ancient trees with the gentle murmur of the Carioca stream near a lovely patch of Atlantic Rain Forest.
Corcovado and Beaches
Corcovado – The first official expedition to the Corcovado Mountain was headed by Dom Pedro I, heir to the Brazilian throne at the time. The Art-Deco statue situated at the top of the 710 meters high mountain was inaugurated in October 12, 1931 by President Getúlio Vargas.
The “Cristo Redentor” Statue is certainly the most visited and admired monument in Rio de Janeiro with its magnificent 360° panoramic view of the city. With the recently inaugurated escalators and panoramic elevators the two hundred steps climb to the top can thankfully be avoided.
The cog train ride through the Tijuca rain forest takes about 30min each way during which visitors can appreciate the exuberance of the native flora. The tour ends with a relaxing return drive to the Hotel along some of the beaches of the southern district of Rio de Janeiro.
Lunch — Churrascaria Porcão Rio’s — Located on a privileged site and with an impeccable service, the place offers the best meat in the city (barbecue) as well as a large variety of cold salads, sea food and Japanese cuisine. NOT INCLUDED.
Outeiro Da Glória
Outeiro da Glória — The Church of Our Lady of Glory of Outeiro (Igreja da Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro), best known as “Outeiro da Glória” is one of the oldest churches in Rio (1671–1739) and gives name to the surrounding neighborhood of Glória.
Dom Pedro II, the last emperor of Brazil, was married at Outeiro da Glória and his daughter Princess Isabel was baptized there. Perched on top of a hill, the Outeiro provides a striking view of the Guanabara Bay and the Sugar Loaf.
The church itself is an interesting octagonal structure, done in a somewhat ascetic version of baroque. It’s surprisingly small inside — the walls of the church being much thicker than one imagines — and the interior decoration is the same ascetic baroque, with the main features being the ornate Portuguese tiles and the altar carved by Master Valentim the most renowned sculptor and woodcarver of his time. Tues– Fri 9 to 11 a.m. and 2:30 to 6:00 p.m. Sat– Sun 9 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
Mosteiro de São Bento
Mosteiro de São Bento (São Bento Monastery) — Founded in 1590 by monks from Bahia, the Benedictine Monastery of Rio de Janeiro emerged on the top of a hill with a panoramic view of the Guanabara Bay.
The compound, with its monastic simplicity is one of the most beautiful architectural complexes in Brazil. The harmony amongst the various parts built at different stages in history resulted from the rule of the Benedictine school, which by tradition only uses artists and builders belonging to the Order.
In 1880 the three full-arch archways were closed with the current German cast-iron gratings. The austere exterior purposefully contrasts with the richness of the interior highlighting the gilded Baroque engravings with plants motifs and the exuberant Rococo style in the engraving on the high altar, cross vaulting and Chapel of the Holly Sacrament.
The huge doors were beautifully sculptured in bronze by Teixeira Lopes, cast in Bruzy, France, and exhibited at the Paris World Fair in 1889. The two principal activities of the monastery are the daily celebration of the Divine Office and the Sunday Mass with Gregorian chant. Church hours: daily from 8 to 11:00 a.m. and from 2:30 to 8:00 p.m.